FAA Waiver Services

FAA Services

How Long Does it take to Receive FAA Approval?
The FAA tries to have responses to FAA Waivers within 90 days.

Do you need a Drone Waiver to Fly at Night?

Do you need a Waiver to Fly over People?

What if my FAA Waiver Application is Rejected?

Why are FAA Waiver Requests Denied?

They did not demonstrate how it could be done safely.

  • How can I fly my Drone at Night?
  • How Can I fly Over People?
    • Drone Parachutes- What models of drones do they work with?
    • Do they ever help people get the waiver?
    • “Flying over people can give you some of the greatest footage, however, it is also dangerous and so obtaining a waiver from the FAA is somewhat hard

FAA Waiver Statistics

The FAA has granted more than 4000 Part 107 FAA Waivers.

increased faa approval of uas waivers

On Aug 29, 2016, the FAA implemented Part 107 of title 14 of the code of Federal Regulations, also known as the small unmanned aircraft systems UAS rule. It created a regulatory framework that enabled civilian and commercial operators of UAS. UAS weighing 55 lbs. or less.

Generally, Part 107 requires operators to fly under 400 feet above ground level, within visual line of sight and only during daylight hours. UAS operators who want to fly outside the requirements of part 107, such as to conduct beyond line of sight or nighttime operations, may request a waiver from the FAA. The FAA began issuing waivers the same day Part 107 took effect.

Almost four years later, the FAA has granted more than 4000 waivers to UAV pilots in all 50 states, as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. The number of waivers granted per quarter reached an initial peak in the beginning of 2017 as pilots vied to be the first to fly under these new regulations however, as the FAA worked through the backlog, the approval rate rapidly declined by the end of the year since then, the number of waivers issued per quarter has steadily increased with a historic peak in the first quarter of 2020.

Almost 95% of currently active waivers enable UAS flights at night. The other 5% allow more advanced flight profiles like those over people, in excess of 100 mph, higher than 400 feet above ground level, under limited flight visibility, or with decreased distance relative to clouds.

FAA waivers can also modify the ground control requirements, thus enabling an operator to concurrently control multiple UAS, to fly without the required visual observer support to control the aircraft from a moving vehicle. Waivers are granted to “responsible individuals” who may or may not be linked to an associated organization on the waiver permit. Nearly 57% of waivers are granted to an individual with an associated organization. Businesses that operate UAS for financial gain are categorized as service organizations and account for over 72% of waivers granted to individuals associated with an organization many of these businesses offer aerial imaging solutions for a range of applications including real estate, landscape photography, infrastructure inspections, and agriculture environmental surveys.

First responders comprise 19% of the organizations granted waivers most of which enable nighttime operations for search and rescue or firefighting. More than 87% of entities granted a Part 107 exemption generate less than $1,000,000 in annual revenue. As such, it is important that the waiver process be standardized and easy to navigate to ensure that small businesses with minimal resources are able to take advantage of the benefits enabled by advanced operations.

If your organization needs a Part 107 waiver then contact UAS attorney Clint Dunaway at the Dunaway Law Group at 480-389-6529 or send us a message HERE.

FAA Part 137 Exemption

  1. Airworthiness: You must prove to the FAA that your UAV is safe or “airworthy”.
  2. Pilot Skills: The FAA will closely look to see the skills of the pilot who is actually doing the flying.
  3. Chemical Handling: Pilot must prove to the state that they are competent to handle dangerous chemicals.

Once a company and/or pilot has met the above three requirements then they are able to apply for the FAA Part 137 Exemption.

A person and company must also then apply for an FAA Part 107 Exemption to receive a waiver from certain rules that apply to the typical manned agricultural spraying planes.

Let us help you apply for an FAA Part 137 exemption by contacting attorney Clint Dunaway at 480-389-6529 or email at office@dunawaylg.com.