Partitioning Real Estate

Partitioning Arizona real estate is a way to resolve a situation where two people who own real estate together but disagree about whether to sell the property and or how to manage it. I typically see this scenario where a boyfriend-girlfriend purchased a home together and then later have a falling-out.

In this situation they are both equal owners, so can one of the parties force the other to sell even if they don’t want to? Yes! There is an Arizona Statute that specifically addresses what to do in these situations.

A.R.S. ยง 12-1211 states:

A. The owner or claimant of real property or any interest therein may compel a partition of the property between him and the owners or claimants by filing a complaint in the superior court of the county in which the property, or a portion thereof, is situated.

B. The complaint shall state: (1) The names and residences, if known, of each of the owners or claimants. (2) The share or interest which plaintiff and the owners or claimants own or claim, so far as known to plaintiff. (3) A description of the real property to identify it and its estimated value. 

A.R.S. 12-1211

Once the Arizona real estate is sold the net proceeds will be distributed between the owners. If you need an Arizona real estate attorney then contact the Dunaway Law Group at 480-389-6529 or message us HERE.

These blog posts are not intended nor shall they be deemed to be the rendering of legal advice. Reading these blog posts does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry.

Author: Clint Dunaway

Arizona attorney.